I. SHORT HISTORY
The Faculty of Physics, Mathematics and Information Technologies was established in 1930. During the 89 years the faculty has trained about 20,000 high-caliber specialists in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science and Information Technologies.
Within the faculty there are currently 4 chairs:
- Chair ALGEBRA, GEOMETRY AND TOPOLOGY
- Chair MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS AND DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
- THEORETICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICS Chair
- The COMPUTER AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES Chair
II. TEACHERS STAFF
The faculty activates 80 teachers, of which 7 university professors, qualified doctors, 34 university lecturers, doctors, 24 senior lecturers, 15 university lecturers.
III. MATERIAL BASE
Within the faculty for carrying out the student training process and the research activity, 37 laboratories are equipped with equipment, models, training facilities and 8 computer rooms for studying: microprocessors, information technologies, information systems security, transmission systems. multiplexes, optical communications, digital communications networks, mobile communications, modern telecommunications technologies, software in electronics and communications, computer networks, television, audio and video technologies, robotics, computer aided design, etc.
IV. FACILITIES AND COMPETENCES
The faculty pays particular attention to the problem of employment in the field of graduates. Each graduate can be employed at the following companies, associations, ministries and departments.
The graduates of the FMTI faculty have great employment opportunities. They can activate as:
- Data Analyst (collects, analyzes and interprets data in order to generate statistical reports for a specific unit of an institution, develops data collection tools, designs and develops specific databases);
- Database administrator (performs the technical expertise for designing, implementing and maintaining relational databases, monitors and maintains database security);
- Network Administrator (manages computer networks; performs maintenance, evaluation, installation, network configuration, network security and user training in order to maximize productivity);
- Technical support analyst (provides the necessary technical support for the software and hardware systems, to the various working groups of the institution);
- Programmer Analyst (analyzes and evaluates scientific and business issues; designs computer programs, collects information, and defines issues following discussions with the user; develops comprehensive specifications to assist programmers in writing programs);
- Documentary artist in information technology (writes and edits technical reports, brochures, manuals for internal documentation; procures material necessary for the institution from the Internet)
- Teacher for secondary and high school education in the mentioned fields;
- Researcher in research institutes on the above mentioned fields;
- Physics engineer;
- Data entry operator (performs data entry according to procedures using Office type processing and specialized software packages);
- Programmer (designs, maintains, tests and modifies programs);
- Manager in educational institutions;
- Software Designer (develops and maintains client server applications, multimedia applications, computer systems, telecommunications software, educational software);
- Web designer (creates and maintains websites; develops new content or adapts existing ones).
V. INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
The PhMIT faculty collaborates with Romanian institutions (University of Craiova, “Stefan cel Mare” University of Suceava, “Al. I. Cuza” University of Iasi, House of the Teaching Body of Suceava), Ukraine (Cernăuţi National University), Slovenia (University of Maribor), Belarusi (University of Minsk), China (Normal University of Shanghai), Poland (Pedagogical University of Krakow), Russia (“A. Ioffe” Physical-Technical Institute of St. Petersburg), Korea (of the Institute nanoelectronics in Seoul).
VI. SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH
The researchers of the PhMIT faculty have published over 500 articles in the last 5 years in national and international scientific collections and journals, participate in scientific communications at various national and international specialized conferences, are the authors of monographs and textbooks.
In the period 2015-2019, based on the competition, the PhMIT faculty conducts scientific research within four institutional projects financed from the budget:
- Researching the functional-topological structures and their applications (project manager: academic Mitrofan Cioban);
- Research on the modification of the energy spectrum of pregnancy carriers in gallium antimonide under the influence of dopants from the groups of rare earth and transition elements and donor-acceptor interaction (project director: university lecturer Igor Postolachi);
- Study of didactic strategies for applying the method of scientific investigation in virtual environments of active learning (project manager: university lecturer Mihai Calalb);
- Methodologies of continuous training assisted by computer of the teachers of mathematics and computer science (project director: university professor Ilie Lupu).
During the period 2018-2020, the PhMIT faculty conducts scientific research within 2 international projects:
- NATO SPS G5381 MIDAS – Control Team of Mini-UAVs to Support Counter-Terrorism Missions;
- NATO SPS G5437 WITNESS – Wide InTegration of Sensor Networks to Enable Smart Surveillance